Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Evaluating Intercultural Behaviour in New Zealand!



My trip to New Zealand for army overseas training exercise was a once in a life time experience for me. Apart from the beautiful sceneries and the cooling climate, I discovered a distinct cultural difference. This interesting observation was made while I was working with the New Zealand Artillery army unit.


It was the final day of the firing evaluation exercise. We were attached to a group of New Zealand army comrades in the exchange programme. As it was lunch time, I had to collect rations for my fellow platoon mates before the start of the first firing. While I was queuing up at the ration collection point, I received a call from my senior commander that I had to send the ration back to the platoon (which was 20 km away) in 10 minutes. This was because they had to meet the firing time requirement in this important evaluation. Looking at the long and slow moving queue, I got impatient and frustrated. I then requested to ‘cut’ the queue by explaining to the people that I had an urgent timing to meet. Seeing that I was a foreigner, they gave me the priority and I was very thankful of them. After I left hurriedly, I then realized that the New Zealand boys would also have to meet the same firing timing since it was a bilateral firing exercise. I started to wonder, “At the rate they are going, how are they going to meet the timing?” In addition, I was surprised that they allowed me to move to the front of the queue when they were supposed to be in the rush too. Eventually, they were late in delivering the first firepower.


This incident allowed me to discover a different pace of life in another country. After talking to some of the New Zealand boys, I discovered that they are used to the slow pace of lifestyle that deadlines served no purpose unless there really was. At first, I thought that the New Zealand army was being inefficient but this laidback attitude can be seen in other aspects of their lives as well. Even during the peak hours, New Zealanders walk on the streets slowly. This is a stark difference compared to Singaporeans, who tend to rush to their destinations. Shops always closed at 6pm sharp when Singapore malls end their business in the late evening. To us Singaporeans, we lived in such a hectic lifestyle that we are forever rushing to meet deadlines. Another point is that if you were in Singapore, would people let you jump the queue if you tell them that you are rushing for time? I guess not. They might be rushing for time as well.


I believed why there is such a different cultural occurrence is because of the environment that they are living in. New Zealanders depend heavily on cow rearing for their national domestic output. Life will automatically become slow as they lived largely in a rural environment. It is surprising to note that the proportion of cows is higher than the number of people there. This clearly shows that cows are very important natural resource for the country. For us Singaporeans, we are regarded as an important resource in the country. To ensure survival, we need to depend on ourselves as we do not have any natural resources. This explains the rise of Singapore as a financial and trading urban centre. It is inevitable to rush as time is a crucial factor in the business world.


After noticing such a way of life in New Zealand, I finally understand why some Singaporeans migrate to New Zealand during their retirement days. It is place of tranquility and beauty where it gives a break to the hectic lifestyle of Singaporeans.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Zikai,

    I notice this trend with your blogposts - they are all very long. Please try to keep to the word limit. Remember, being concise is one of the 7Cs. =)

    That aside, I find it interesting that you're comparing Singaporeans to New Zealand cows. I hope the cows are working as hard as us. Haha. Anyway, I always wondered why Singaporeans rush all the time. Perhaps this rushing has a direct correlation to our efficiency. Maybe Singaporeans live to work while the New Zealanders work to live. The value of work is different, hence the difference in attitudes.

    This cultural difference could be a break for us. Similarly, many expats find that life in Singapore is good. I guess this is a case of to each his/her own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zi Kai,

    This comparison between Singaporeans and New Zealanders is indeed very interesting. Having been through army, I can fully appreciate the agony of having to keep to the tight schedules.

    However, I did not quite understand when you mentioned about cows being the natural resource of New Zealand. My interpretation of what you wrote is that because New Zealand has a lot of natural resources, as a result, people living their do not need to work as hard to make a living. Correct me if I am wrong.

    Some minor language issues:

    "the proportion of cows is higher than the number of people"...(you are comparing proportion and number)

    "It is place of tranquility and beauty.." Insert "a", however, I would change it to "It is a place of such beauty and tranquility that it makes a perfect breakaway from the hectic lifestyle in Singapore."

    Ji Wei

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zikai,

    Thank you for such an interesting post. In your blog post, you mentioned this,"For us Singaporeans, we are regarded as an important resource in the country." I did not understand what was the word "we" initially but finally understood what the word was referring to after reading it for the second time. I think it would be clearer if you replace the word with "people" as an important natural resource.

    I agree with your point that cultural differences are usually the product of the different ways of life of the people around the world. Our hectic lifestyle calls for efficiency in everything we do while the laidback lifestyle of the New Zealanders permit them to take a slow pace approach to everything.

    In you last paragraph, you mentioned this, "I finally understand why some Singaporeans migrate to New Zealand during their retirement days. It is place of tranquility and beauty where it gives a break to the hectic lifestyle of Singaporeans." Actually, I am pretty skeptical about our ability to integrate into their way of life after staying in Singapore for so long. After my exchange programme to the North Americas, I realised that the best would be to have a fusion of culture but I think that would be a wishful thinking on my side. I guess I still prefer the Asians culture which emphasizes on efficiency.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To all, thanks for the insightful comments. I do really hope we could at least learn from the New Zealands culture under some situations. For instance,i find that most often, the culture of Singaporeans is to live to work rather than work to live. We really need to give ourselves some breathing space.

    Zikai

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Zikai, for this interesting post. You describe the difference between your perception of time and that of the Kiwis quite well. I like the way you extend it from chronemics to underlying values as well.

    Oh yes, to live to work rather than to work to live! I know the meaning of that old adage well now that I'm here in Singapore. There is certainly a sense of urgency in this environment that becomes quite contagious, affecting even guys like me who might be more at home amongst the cows than amongst the condos.

    You've hit on some inportant lifestyle issues here, and you've stimulated good reactions. I appreciate your effort!

    ReplyDelete