Saturday, August 29, 2009

An interpersonal conflict (The blame game)

Having spent 2 years in the army, I have not only got myself operationally and physically ready but also gained work experiences, especially in terms of work politics. I still remember vividly an interpersonal conflict that involved 3 parties, including myself. Before the usual outfield training exercise, our fellow commander (a regular) was tasked the job of distributing 8 CVC helmets (used for training) to 4 section commanders. Being the platoon sergeant, I was asked to help him oversee the accountability of those items as he had to settle other important matters. After the training, I realised that there were only 7 CVC helmets. The section commander who was responsible claimed that he had the 2 CVC helmets accounted for at outfield before returning to camp. He also said that he had informed our regular commander who claimed that he did not remember anything about being informed.


The regular started to blame the section commander for being irresponsible and demanded him to pay for the loss. Being sandwiched in the middle, I was at a loss as I did not know whom to believe. However, after having a heart to heart talk to understand the situation from the section commander, I realized that his work ability could be trusted. In the end, I requested to share the cost for the loss since I was also in charge of the outfield items. I did not want the blaming to continue but wanted to resolve the situation quickly instead. There was clearly no trust amongst us.


After this incident, I thought to myself, what was the cause of this conflict? Is it because of a miscommunication between the regular and section commander? Or was it just because of work ability? If you were in my shoes, what would you have done to improve the situation?

7 comments:

  1. Hi Zi Kai,

    From what you wrote, it seems like no one wanted to take responsibility for the missing CVC helmet. Possibly someone lied in order to push the responsibility to someone else or it could be that there was a miscommunication. Perhaps the regular was too preoccupied with other matters that he deemed whatever the section commander was saying as unimportant.

    I suppose this pushing of responsiblity happens because taking responsiblity for something often means that you'll get into some kind of trouble if something goes wrong.

    I thought you did a good job by offering to take responsibility. On top of solving the problem, you managed to build rapport with the section commander. This would definitely improve the relationship between the two of you.

    By the way, I'm just curious, what's a CVC helmet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Zi Kai,

    I liked that you had a heart-to-heart talk with the section commander to understand the situation better since most people might actually take the easy way out and avoid the accused.

    If I were in your shoes, I would have explained to the regular why I trust the section commander after that heart-to-heart talk and try to find out why the regular seemed to be convinced that that particular section commander was the one who lost the helmet since there were 3 others.

    The regular was harsh on the section commander because he might have expected better from him. He might have been stressed by his other duties and with a missing CVC helmet, he would have more to account for and that might have been why he acted the way he did.

    I want to know what happened to the CVC helmet too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zi Kai,

    I like the fact that you shared the cost of the helmet.

    Considering what we learned yesterday, you can help the section commander feel less angry about being the scapegoat for the lost of the helmet.

    Listen carefully to what he says. For example, if he is saying: "He lost the helmet, not me!" and "Why am I the one being blamed?"

    Then shift his attention to finding a long-term solution by asking him, "Let's think about what we can do to avoid this from happening again."

    Also, you can tell him that it is a bad idea to be not on good terms with a superior.

    Ji Wei

    ReplyDelete
  5. To all who have commented, thanks for the possible solutions you have posted. Indeed, this incident has caused me to build a strong rapport with the section commander. In fact, the section commander has become my close friend till now. However,i regret that my relationship with the regular has deterioted. This is due to the fact that i have confronted him after listening to the section commander. I feel that i need to hear both sides of the story before jumping to the conclusion. And of course, i confronted him because i believe that the regular should not push all the blame to him without any concrete evidence.

    Unfortunately, for those who want to know what happened to the CVC helmet, it was never been found till today. Hence, someone had to shoulder the responsbility if not things will blow out of proportion.

    By the way, a CVC helmet which stands for 'Combat Vehicle Crewmember' is used as a communication headgear in armoured vehicles. It has dual functions which is to protect the soldier's head as well as to allow the driver and commander to communicate through intercoms in the vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a well described scenario, Zikai. You make clear the characters and the conflict. My only confusion comes with the number of helmets, There were supposed to be 8, right? Later there are only 7. But then you state "he had the 2 CVC helmets accounted for." Which 2? Why 2?

    What am I missing?

    Aside from that, you do a good job of inspiring feedback. Thanks for this effort!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi brad

    I suppose i did not make myself clear, 8 CVC helmets were distributed equally among 4 section commanders. So 1 section commander would receive 2 CVC helmets. The particular section commander claimed that he had both 2 accounted for but came back with only 1 left. Sorry about the confusion.

    Zikai

    ReplyDelete